Thursday, November 14, 2013

My "Couch to 5k" Journey

Today I did something I've never done or ever envisioned myself doing: I went for a run. I've never been a runner, ever. It was something done as a punishment in gym class and quite frankly if there isn't a hungry bear on my 6, I don't want much to do with it. However, I have been wanting to do something to help bounce back after my 2nd baby and just feel a little better about myself. I don't feel like I need to get "ripped" or drop 40 pounds (frankly, I think I'd look weird that skinny), but just get fit.

I've tossed around the idea of trying out the "Couch to 5k" plan. I liked that they eased you into things, you get to alternate walking and running and 5k seems attainable. It also helps that there are free apps available that time everything for you and just tell you what to do. The easier the better! With two little ones, I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to sqeeze in the time since I didn't have a jogging stroller nor capital to just pick one up. When a free one (yes, FREE) came available, I hopped at the chance and took it as a sign to get my tush in gear.

Today was the first day in my "Couch to 5k" journey. Hopefully, with some self-discipline and accountability (yes, you!), in 6 weeks I'll be able to run most of a 5k. At this point I haven't registered for any races, bit I'm thinking about it. It would be good to have a goal to work toward.

It went ok! I don't have the god awful searing pain in my legs I was expecting, but I'll also try to not go so close to nap time our next time out. Between that and the chilly wind, the girls didn't have the best of times. The look on Neva's face when I first started jogging was pretty priceless though. "Here we goooooooooo!" she said. :) Yes baby girl, here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment